Find your nearest tip or recycling centre
A tip or recycling centre is called a household waste recycling centre (HWRC)
St Philips Household Waste Recycling Centre Folly Lane, off Days Road, St Philips, Bristol, BS2 0QS
Avonmouth Household Waste Recycling Centre Kings Weston Lane, Avonmouth, Bristol, BS11 0YS
Smaller recycling centres can be found using our recycling centre finder
You must present valid ID confirming Bristol residency to use the Recycling Centres
These measures are designed to help reduce long queues and save the city money.
We only accept:
- Photo ID & Bristol City Council tax bill
- Photo ID & utility bill with a Bristol address
- Student ID card identifying you as a Bristol student
Officially recognised identification includes:
- Driving license, including international driving licenses
- National Union of Students (NUS) card
- European Economic Area (EEA) member state ID card
- Construction Identity Scheme (CIS) card
We accept both paper or mobile bills.
Avonmouth and St Philips:
- open seven days a week
- 8am until 4.15pm, from 23rd October until 25th March
- 8am until 6.45pm, from 26th March until 22nd October
- closed 25th, 26th December and 1st January
You’ll need to arrive at least 10 minutes before we close to give you enough time to unload your recycling and waste. You’ll need to sort recyclables and waste before visiting.
Children under 16 years of age should remain in vehicles for their own safety.
There is no pedestrian access to the household waste recycling centres.
Van, pickup and towed trailer access
You can’t recycle business waste at the tip. Householders using a van, pick-up or towing a trailer over 1.52 metres (5 feet) in length, will need to apply for a permit using the household waste recycling centres permit scheme.
A height restriction of 2.4m applies at both Household Waste Recycling Centres.
What we take:
- batteries (car and domestic)
- books, DVDs and CDs
- electrical appliances, household only, large and small, (known as Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment 'WEEE')
- glass bottles and jars
- glasses (spectacles)
- green waste from gardens
- hard plastic (for example, old toys, household items, drainpipes)
- hazardous household waste, please check policy before you bring anything
- household furniture
- oil (used engine oil, and cooking oil)
- paper and magazines
- plastic bottles
- refrigerators and freezers (domestic)
- rubble and soil
- scrap metal
- shoes, clothes and textiles
- shredded paper
- televisions and monitors
- tin cans, foil
- wood waste
Limits on DIY and construction waste
Weekly limit on DIY and construction waste is one car boot load, or six 25kg bags, whichever is less. Anything larger than this limit is classed as industrial waste, even if it is generated at home.
Limiting how much people can dispose of brings us in line with other local authorities, and ensures our service is for Bristol residents only, rather than traders trying to dispose of their waste for free.
Soil and rubble will be refused if mixed with other wastes. You must separate them before bringing them to the site.
Examples of DIY and construction materials are:
- hardcore rubble and bricks, concrete slabs
- roofing materials
- any waste mixed with other DIY or construction waste
Only three sheets or three 25kg bags of bonded asbestos will be accepted per visit or per week, whichever is the less. All asbestos must be double wrapped in polythene and sealed with tape.
Bagged asbestos must not be mixed with any other waste. We can only accept cement bonded asbestos. Unwrapped asbestos will not be accepted.
Before you visit us, please call 0117 922 2100 to check there is space in our skip for your asbestos.
Fluorescent tubes and low energy light bulbs
These contain mercury, which is hazardous. You can take them to a Household Waste Recycling Centre.
You can take all paints to a Household Waste Recycling Centre.
If you require assistance at either of our tips, please ask a member of staff who will be more than happy to help.
Tips at both Avonmouth and St Philips are on one level, allowing full wheelchair access.